Monday 6 December 2010

Strength... an inner quest to change the world

A wise friend of mine once told me that power is not about taking action or displaying brute force: inner strength often lies in the capability to be passive or silent in moments of chaos.  The ability to stand back and simply observe without reacting can have an immense impact and can create the most change around you.  Using inner strength means that you don't necessarily have to take any action at all.  It's all about perception and taking a stand by simply being.
Some perceive the martial artist to be a true picture of strength, agility and balance. Yet a true warrior knows that fighting is always the last resort; he trains for years so that he does not have to fight.  A hard idea to grasp isn't it? Actually it isn't... "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win" - Sensei Ueshiba.  When you break it down, it's all a state of mind.
I have met many people in my lifetime who consider themselves to be strong.  Yet only a very small percentage of these people managed to blow me away.  Calmness, self control and wisdom win me over hands down.  It takes an immense amount of true inner strength to walk away from a pointless battle and know when to back down.  That constitutes a strong individual.  It isn't always about winning or physical strength...it's about knowledge and balance.  "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill."- Sun-Tsu 
So what am I building up to, you ask? Well, it is my belief that we are able to change the state of the world with knowledge, patience, balance and a collective inner strength.  It is my personal quest to develop this state of being in all areas of my life. So I welcome anyone to try and take a quiet stand and make a difference...Wanna join my revolution?  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment